One specific food that’s often on the list of foods to avoid when caring for a frenchie is watermelon. As you probably know, this fruit is very popular, and it can be found in many different forms. The watermelon that is talking about here is called a “cascading” or “opera” variety because it looks like an opera singer.
It’s not as common as some other types of watermelons, such as those with red, white, or black rinds. And often, these “cascading” ones resemble regular watermelons more than the traditional flavors of the fruit.
Watermelon is safe for French bulldogs to eat, and they can eat it. However, the seeds and rinds should be avoided because they can result in digestive obstructions and issues.
Can French Bulldogs Eat Watermelon Skin?
- 1 Can French Bulldogs Eat Watermelon Skin?
- 2 Can French Bulldogs Eat Watermelon Seeds?
- 3 Can French Bulldogs Drink Watermelon Juice?
- 4 How To Feed French Bulldogs With Watermelons?
- 5 How Much Watermelon Is Safe For A French Bulldog To Eat?
- 6 Benefits Of Feeding French Bulldogs With Watermelon
- 7 How To Prepare Watermelon For Your French Bulldog?
- 8 Conclusion
Watermelon skin isn’t poisonous to your pup, but it’s not a good idea either. If you fed watermelon to your dog and seem okay with it, you need to consult your vet. And if the bulldog is eating the watermelon skin (instead of just licking it), there is a higher chance that he may suffer from indigestion or diarrhea as an adverse effect. So, if a French bulldog likes the watermelon, you should probably stick with good-quality dry dog food. But, again, make sure to offer different brands and types.
Can French Bulldogs Eat Watermelon Seeds?
More importantly, you may want to know if your pup can eat watermelon seeds before planning on feeding it some fruits for the first time.
French bulldogs can eat watermelon seeds, although it is not recommended that you allow them to do so. Seeds can cause gastrointestinal issues, as they are difficult to digest and result in intestine blockages, diarrhea, and upset stomachs.
Can French Bulldogs Drink Watermelon Juice?
The short answer is yes, but not all Frenchies can drink watermelon juice. Below we outline who can and cannot handle this delicious fruit for you.
Watermelons are not poisonous to dogs. The only parts of a watermelon that can be harmful are the seeds and rinds, which contain a compound called coralline, which is toxic to all mammals. It’s important to remove these parts from your dog’s watermelon before giving it to him/her.
You can safely feed watermelon juice to your pet. On the other hand, water is the finest beverage for Frenchies on hot summer days and throughout the year. Always go for homemade watermelon juice if you have the option.
Commercial juices, which include a lot of preservatives and a lot of sugar, should be avoided. Insensitive dogs, preservatives in juices may create intestinal issues. Excessive watermelon juice can also cause loose, watery stools or diarrhea. As a result, please use caution when feeding it to your Frenchie.
How To Feed French Bulldogs With Watermelons?
French Bulldogs are one of the cutest dog breeds out there, but they need specific watermelon size, shape, and color. In addition, their owners should be careful to feed them the proper diet to minimize health issues that may arise. French Bulldogs are prone to dental problems, arthritis, and other skin conditions that can be prevented by feeding them what they need.
If you’re going to feed your French bulldog a watermelon, make sure you do it correctly. Dogs need a specific watermelon size and shape. They should not be eaten too often. If you’re going to do this, remember that not every kind of watermelon will work. You’ll need an oval-shaped, red or pink one with thin skin. Those are the healthiest because they have less water in them and more vitamins.
There are various safe and high-quality ways to feed your Frenchie watermelons that you can do at your own pace:
- You may produce a watermelon puree for your Frenchie pet in a blender, which will help you avoid unwanted choking for your pup or even an adult.
- You can chop the watermelon into little pieces and give it to your Frenchie as a treat or reward during practice and training.
- You can cut the watermelon into very little pieces and offer it to your Frenchie to keep them hydrated before or after a workout. To avoid suffocating, chop the watermelon into tiny little pieces and add it to your Frenchie diet.
How Much Watermelon Is Safe For A French Bulldog To Eat?
A French bulldog should eat one-half to two cups of watermelon per day. If you need an even more accurate assessment about how much a French bulldog should eat, check out the dog food guide for Frenchies on this site.
Watermelon is a good source of vitamin C, potassium, and vitamin A. Watermelon is also a good source of folate, fiber, thiamine (B1), niacin (B3), pantothenic acid (B5), copper, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, and zinc. It is also an excellent source of citrulline and lycopene. In addition, watermelon has only 0.2% fat which makes it an excellent dog food ingredient for feeding your dog.
Watermelon can be difficult to digest, so you must feed your dog smaller portions throughout the day. Many dogs will not get diarrhea or indigestion from watermelon, but you should watch for these symptoms. If your dog shows any signs of digestive problems after eating watermelon, stop feeding them watermelon and contact your veterinarian immediately.
Watermelons are known to cool off the body temperature of dogs in the summertime, so this is a good food to feed during the hot times of the year. However, this food should be avoided during winter because it can disrupt their sleeping patterns and cause hypothermia.
Also Read: Can French Bulldogs Eat Apples?
Benefits Of Feeding French Bulldogs With Watermelon
Those dogs that get a lot of watermelons can get less anxious than dogs that don’t eat the watermelon. This may be because the fruit is rich in glucose and fructose, two sugar types known to improve alertness, focus, and energy. So, it could be a good source for your pup to think about. And, watermelon is about 80% water, so it makes a perfect filling and hydrating snack for your pet when they’re feeling uncomfortable.
Watermelon may be an excellent snack on a hot summer day for Frenchies who are prone to overheating. This fruit is low in calories and contains 92 percent water, making it ideal for hydration. It’s also low in fat and cholesterol, so your French bulldog can eat it guilt-free.
How To Prepare Watermelon For Your French Bulldog?
They have compiled some tips on how to make sure they stay happy and healthy. For instance, one must know how to prepare the favorite food, such as watermelon:
- Find a watermelon that has heavy indentations and is heavy for its size. Watermelons can vary in size, but everyone should be able to find one that won’t weigh your French bulldog down.
- Pare off the skin of the watermelon. This is easier said than done for many people, but you are only looking to remove the epidermis. Once this is done, cut all along the fruit’s flesh and remove any seeds and small pieces of skin. Finally, cut the watermelon in half; this way, it can be opened without worrying about injuring or cutting open your dog.
- Remove any rind from inside the watermelon before making a juice out of them for your French bulldog. This is strictly to make the juice easier on your dog.
- Cut the white center out of watermelon if it is indeed found within the fruit. For example, if you are cutting an entire watermelon in half, simply cut around the white portion to remove all of it.
- Immediately pour 2 cups of ice-cold water over this mixture. This will help your dog release the natural enzymes in his mouth.
- Let your French bulldog have the watermelon in its mouth for 5-10 seconds, at least. This is an important step to avoid the enzyme release from the watermelon. Because it is too painful for your dog.
- If your dog still has trouble swallowing, try diluting the watermelon juice with a bit of water. It will help break down some of the fiber in the melon, so it is easier to digest.
French bulldogs above the age of two months can eat a cup of watermelon every day without ill consequences. However, you must not feed your pet the rind or seeds of the fruit. Watermelon juice, as long as it is sugar-free, is likewise safe for French bulldogs.